Sunday, June 5, 2011

OBX

After a few days of working around the house, packing, etc., I am finally at the Outer Banks.  I feel that my Sabbatical has now begun.

I worshiped this morning at the Corolla Chapel.  The web site indicated it was a non-denominational church.  It felt very much like a typical Southern Baptist church.  During the service, I found myself doing what I fear many folks do, gauge the worship based on the ability of the pastor.  He fared well during the first half of the service.  He had a pleasing personality, very positive, encouraging, and pastoral.

In my judgment, he did not fare so well during the sermon.  I thought he mis-used and mis-interpreted the text, repeated himself too often, and had poor delivery skills.

Then the Lord convicted me during Communion that I was guilty of what I criticize others of doing--basing my worship experience on the personality and ability of the worship leader.  Worship is not about a person--it is about the Person.  Worship is about offering myself to God.  I'm sure there are many more lessons the Lord wants to teach me during this Sabbatical time.

I plan to take lots of photos this week.  I am uploading many to my photo site www.jimmymoore.info.

Blessings,
Jimmy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment