Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Lesson from a Gull

I took this photo last night.  Note that the fish is almost as big as the gull.  In fact, when I stopped my vehicle to grab my shot, I spooked the gull and he took off in flight with the fish in his mouth.  The fish was weighing him down to the point that he was really struggling to fly.  He didn't go very far up the beach, maybe 25 yards, and he dropped the fish in the ocean because of his struggle.  I felt a bit guilty, ruining his dinner.

I think there is a lesson here for all of us.  This fish was much more than this particular gull could consume in one meal.  There were lots of other gulls nearby, but the thought of sharing apparently never crossed this fellow's mind.  His actions indicated that he felt that this catch belonged to him and him alone.  He had worked for this meal and he was going to enjoy it all to himself.  But in the end, he was unable to hold on to it.

We are a lot like this.  We take the blessings that life offers and never give a thought to the fact that all we have and possess are really gifts.  We didn't earn them, nor do we particularly deserve them.   And like the fish that was swallowed-up by the ocean before my friend the gull could actually enjoy it, those things that we think we can hold tightly in our hand are here today and gone tomorrow.   Jesus Himself warned us about storing-up earthly treasures.

Blessings,
Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment