Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sabbatical

Thanks to the generosity of the Lilly Endowment and the thoughtfulness of the congregation of the First Baptist Church of Washington, North Carolina, I will be taking a Sabbatical this summer (June-August).  I will begin my Sabbatical time by taking a few weeks of vacation on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  My family and I have vacationed on the Outer Banks over the course of the last 15 years.  From my very first visit, I have continued to be drawn to the beauty of this area.  It is truly a place of tranquility.  I plan to spend my time there resting, reflecting, journaling, and capturing in digital format images of God's beautiful creation.    I have arranged to spend an entire day with famed nature and wildlife photographer Jared Lloyd, photographing the wild horses of the area.

After vacationing on the Outer Banks, Karen and I will fly from Dulles International to spend 5 weeks in South Africa and Swaziland.  Our flight from Dulles will take us to OR Tambo International in Johannesburg, South Africa.  Upon arrival we will spend one night in Johannesburg, rent a vehicle, and make the drive to Mbabane, Swaziland.  While in Swaziland we will study the Swazi culture with the help of a Swazi tutor, visit churches of various denominations, meet with missionaries and religious leaders, and interview community leaders.  We will travel extensively throughout the Kingdom visiting churches, homesteads, and cultural attractions.

As we bring to an end our African experience, we will spend 9 days traveling through Kruger National Park photographing nature, landscapes, and wildlife.  Our good friends, missionaries Wayne and Barbara Myers, will accompany us on part of this journey.

When Karen and I return to the USA, we'll only have a few hours at home before hitting the road again.  We'll be off to South Carolina for some time with family, and then on to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park for a few weeks before Karen has to return to her teaching duties.  I'll stay behind for an additional week in the Great Smokies, spending some time at the Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway reflecting, journaling, and planning.  Before returning to Washington, North Carolina, our ministerial staff will join me for a Staff Retreat at the Cove near Asheville, North Carolina.

I am grateful that the pastoral needs of the congregation of First Baptist Church will be met by Reverend Phil Frady and our competent staff in my absence.

I will be posting here, as internet connection permits, during the course of my Sabbatical, and I will be uploading photos to www.jimmymoore.info.

Blessings,
Jimmy

2 comments:

  1. Jimmy this sounds wonderful and I will promise to pray for you while you and Karen are away. This indeed is a wonderful opportunity afforded to you and I am thankful that "our church family in Washington" sees the wisdom in this adventure and time for reflection. God Bless!

    LaCount Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks LaCount--Hope you can go back to Swaziland with us in the near future!

    ReplyDelete