Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Troubling Trend

About six times a year, I receive SBC Life, a slick, colorful publication from the SBC Executive Committee.  Honestly, I usually pay little attention to it, but an ad in the most recent publication caught my eye.  The ad, a full-page ad, featured a picture of Dr. Paige Patterson, President of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and the caption read:  "Nowhere else in the world.  Only at Southwestern can you study with:  Dr. Paige Patterson."  The ad continues by listing many of Dr. Patterson's accomplishments.

I do not know Dr. Patterson personally.  I have heard from many who do that he is very personable and likable.  I do not question his ability as an administrator.  But I am really bothered by such an ad.

One of the problems I have with this ad is that it exemplifies what I see as a growing trend in the SBC and in the evangelical world in general.  We place too much emphasis on persons and personalities.  Too many of our churches are built around the person and personality of the pastor.  Too much of what I have experienced in SBC life, as of late, is person and personality driven.

Over thirty years ago I made a decision to attend seminary.  I can remember as a senior at Gardner-Webb College struggling with the decision as to where to attend.  I chose New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary and have never regretted my choice.  But my decision was not based on who the president of the school was.  As a matter of fact, I had no idea who the president of the seminary was until after I became a student there.  My decision was based on the reputation of the school in general.

Seminary presidents come and go, so do pastors.  What happens to a church or an institution when it is built around a person, and for whatever reason that person leaves?   I think the answer is obvious.  I wish things were different, but I'm not very optimistic that things are going to change anytime soon.

Blessings,
Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment