Saturday, April 10, 2010

Lessons from a Lone Jackal

This is a photo of a jackal I recently took in Kruger National Park, South Africa.  I have visited Kruger a number of times, but this was my first time spotting a jackal.  Jackals are interesting creatures.  They normally live alone or in pairs.  Rarely are they found in packs like their cousins--the wild dog.  Another unique characteristic is the male and female mate for life.  Jackals have a life-span of 10-12 years and are basically scavengers.

As you can see from the photo, this particular jackal was lying all alone in an open savanna.  There is no way to know for sure about this guy, but just a few observations based on what I saw.  He looks to be full-grown.  Since there were no signs of a mate, I assume that he is a loner.  Lying here, he looks as if he doesn't have a care in the world.  The sound of the diesel engine from our safari truck didn't cause him to flinch.

I couldn't help but wonder how this little guy has survived in such a volatile environment.  In fact, not far from where I took this shot, we came across the largest pride of lions I had ever seen in Kruger.  One of the characteristics of jackals I failed to mention above is their ability to communicate with a siren-like howl, especially when a predator is approaching.  

This little guy is not unlike many in the human species who choose to go it alone.  For us the predators are different, but none the less real.  Just as I wonder about the survival of this lone jackal, I wonder how the loners of our species can survive without relationships, friendships, family, or community.  As I stated in my observations, this jackal looks as though he doesn't have a care in the world.  But looks can be deceiving.  After all, didn't God create us for relationships?  Foremost among all relationships being our relationship with Him!

Blessings,
Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment