Monday, November 2, 2009

Sermon Planning


As I write this, I am spending the next two days away from the office in sermon planning for next year. By Tuesday afternoon, I hope to come away, not with detailed manuscripts or outlines, but at least with a text and a general theme for each Sunday in 2010. That doesn’t mean that the Holy Spirit and circumstances won’t intervene and cause me to scrape what I put on the preaching calendar these next few days for a particular Sunday in 2010. That also doesn’t mean that I don’t need your prayers for wisdom and guidance as I plan, write, and research week to week. As I stated, what I’m doing the next two days is very broad and general—it will give direction to where I feel the Lord is leading us in worship and preaching for the next year. The spadework will still be done from week to week.

Years ago when I shared with someone I was doing a similar thing for the year to follow, I was surprised by his critical remark: “Doesn’t that discount the leading of the Holy Spirit in your preaching?” Over the years I’ve thought about that particular remark, and if confronted today I would respond: “Then you don’t have much faith in the Holy Spirit!” I trust the Holy Spirit’s leading day to day, week to week, and year to year!

Blessings,

Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment