Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Biggest Winner


I have been working on shedding a few pounds, getting in shape, and lowering my blood pressure. I have found that exercise really works in helping me achieve my goals, and is a wonderful way to deal with stress to boot. After 3 weeks at the gym I have been able to come off blood pressure medication altogether.

Yesterday, while working out on the elliptical machine, an idea came to me. Why not encourage the entire congregation to get in shape? I noticed several FBC folks working out yesterday morning. I had a conversation a few days ago with a church member who is participating in a "Biggest Loser" contest at work. Should not the church lend her voice to encouraging folks to live a healthier lifestyle?

The Scriptures have much to say about physical health. The one verse that comes to mind readily is 1 Corinthians 3:16—"Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?" I do not think many would question the connection between spiritual, mental, emotional, and physical health.

So, I have a rough plan. I will discuss in with our staff at our weekly staff meeting for their input. But I am thinking about preaching a couple of sermons on the importance of physical health and challenging our congregation to set some personal goals. Perhaps we can have some kind of "friendly" congregational contest. Maybe we can call it "The Biggest Winner." After all it is a win/win proposition. Stay tuned for details to follow.

Blessings,
Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment