Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sabbath

Over the past few weeks I have been researching Clergy Sabbaticals in hopes of selling our congregation on the idea of a sabbatical policy for the ministerial staff. Three great resources, all from the Alban Institute, are: Clergy Renewal: The Alban Guide to Sabbatical Planning by A. Richard Bullock and Richard J. Bruesehoff; Journeying toward Renewal by Melissa Bane Sevier; and a video, Why You Should Give Your Pastor a Sabbatical by Roy M. Oswald. My research has really pricked my spirit. I have been seriously convicted of my own sin.

The practice of a Sabbath (a period of rest and renewal) is taken directly from Scripture. Genesis 2:2-3 reads: "By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which He had done" (NAS). The Gospels are frequent in their depiction of Jesus taking time for renewal, prayer, rest, and worship. My practice has not been so unswerving.

Just today I tried to remember the last time I had taken a day off for the purpose of rest and renewal. I took a few days off last week to help my son-in-law complete a project in preparation for the arrival of their second child, but it has been months since I have taken a day for myself. If God, all powerful, all knowing God had a need for rest (as indicated by the passage above), what makes me think that I am immune? If Jesus, God incarnate, had a need for renewal, what makes me think I am exempt? My need was driven home further this week when I visited the doctor. I discovered that my blood pressure was abnormally high. As the doctor indicated, my family history is certainly a factor to be considered, but my failure to take care of myself is a culprit as well.

I think a clergy sabbatical is a worthy pursuit. I believe congregations should consider the benefit to both the clergy person and the congregation when thinking about sabbaticals. I certainly see the benefits of giving ministerial staff regular and periodic times away for renewal, rest, and reflection. But the one thing I have been convicted of this week is my own failings in this area. I have failed to set boundaries and maintain balance. I have allowed work to become an idol and my busyness to create a sense of pride.

I recently had a retired pastor tell me: "You are in the prime of your ministerial career." I think his assessment is right. I have certainly gained tons of experience and wisdom over the years. But I am also convinced that I cannot continue at the pace I have been going. I pray that our congregation will consider a sabbatical policy for the ministerial staff, but regardless of their decision, it is up to me to set boundaries for my own ministry, and times of rest and renewal. I have made a commitment to myself and my family starting now to take regular times away. I am going to begin by taking at least one day off per week. I need it for myself, and I am sure my congregation will benefit as well.

Blessings,
Jimmy

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I was thrilled to see you take Friday off. I recently had a conversation with someone and said you can't give what you don't have and when you are constantly giving and have not time to rest and refuel physically and spiritually you will soon have nothing to give. And as you said so well, even Jesus had to withdraw so how much more so do we need that in our lives as well.

    ReplyDelete