Monday, April 20, 2009

Jesus and Paint

I have been working on a project for more than eighteen months now—painting the outside of my house. I live in a brick ranch-style house, but the trim work needs occasional painting—about once every five years. When I first noticed the paint needed attention, I decided I would re-paint with a latex paint verses the old oil based paint I had been using. I knew this would require additional work, since latex paint cannot be used to cover over oil based paint without a primer coat. So, I decided to paint a section at a time, and to completely finish that particular section before moving on to a new section. It has been a slow process.

As I was preparing to paint a new section this past Saturday, I noticed that there were some places on a section that I had painted a few months back that were beginning to peel. I do not understand why the paint on this small, yet very noticeable area, did not stick. I am sure I gave this area the same attention as I did other areas. I began by washing the area down with bleach, letting the area dry, scraping off any old or loose paint, and applying two coats of primer and two coats of latex. For some unknown reason the paint did not stick and I had to re-paint it this past weekend.

My experience with painting parallels my experience with ministry in many ways. I have often wondered why Jesus seems to "stick' to some folk, while others, no matter how much attention you give them seem to never get it. I have also wondered why faith can be such a permanent part of some folk's life and for others it seems to only last for a season and then it peels away or fades. I remember a young couple in my seminary pastorate. They professed their faith, joined our church, and immediately got involved in every aspect of church life and ministry. But their commitment was short lived. After a few months their enthusiasm waned, their attendance ebbed, and church or faith was no longer a welcomed topic in conversation. This scenario has been repeated numerous times in pastorates ever since.

Paul seemed to have had such an experience with one of his converts. He writes in 2 Timothy for Timothy to "make every effort to come to me soon; for Demas, having loved this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica."

I guess I will never really understand why Jesus seems to "stick" to some while others take to Him like the place on the side of my house does to paint. But I am thankful for the lives He has touched and the transformation that has taken place in the hearts of those who have truly trusted Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment